Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Stress for Monday

Let's start with what stress me currently. I work as full time developer / project leader in a research gov company, and this job has me made develop a web based software which keeps information about hardware components used to build up the different accelerators of the company.

This software started as a relatively simple "excel" to web port which allowed people to start working and keeping the information available to all, yet the software is a lot more complex with around 350 people using it.

Last September a student in computer science came in and said he will work on "optimizing" my soft, yet without first asking if there was any need. Optimizing for him include improving the user experience not just memory / speed. He started to discuss with the users without involving me at all, and asked them what they wanted as improvements. He came then in and started to list me all the changes that I would need to do. Oddly timing as I was already working on a rewrite of the soft, and guess what, most of what he asked was already in plan. Some of the requests he gave me could not even be implemented as one was the contrary of another... Nice planing.

Anyhow, beside that, he started to write a user manual again without talking to me, and once he nearly finished the poor guy had to rewrite it as I just deployed the new soft which basically changed the way to work. Next time plan and discuss first!

Last week I received an email that he want to create a mobile / tablet GUI for my soft, again without first discussing it and then I received an email from him to discuss with me as I "host" the soft.

Overall such impertinence is at the edge of what I can stand, and I doubt it will end up well.

You see that some times you spend a lot of time doing "politics" and not coding, and this kind of tasks are actually even more tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment