Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Bad comments in a bug report? I got them too!

Today I got an "interesting" bug report from a guy here at work. He said that one part of my soft doesn't display values in the first row of the table:


The soft updates the cells in real time when the variables changes on the servers. As you may notice some cells don't have any values, and therefore for those like me not knowing the meaning of the variables it is not easy to debug the content of those tables. There is well over 700'000 variables overall in this system and clearly nobody knows them all.

I don't say there is no bugs in my soft but as always (sadly) any software will contain bugs. It's just a question of math, the bigger the soft is the higher the number of bugs you will have. To fix them you will need to check the soft. In my case I can't test all, because first I don't have the time for it, and second as said I don't have the knowledge and therefore I expect to get bug reports from the different experts.

The bug report I got however contained a little sentence which I could simply not accept: "Work without engagement". Sorry but such sentence is not something you want to hear for a guy like me which work like mad to bring all the wishes live.

My answer to his bug was: with such attitude you can find somebody else to fix the bug for you.

However I was curious and I checked what produced the bug. At the end it was a stupid mistake: checking if a value exists with a "if ( value )" is ok in Javascript however it will be false even if the value is 0 not only if it's null or undefined. So a bad if of my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment