Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Node.JS and Visual Studio

With Visual Studio 2015 came the "official" support of Node.JS within Visual Studio. A great news for me which already works mainly with Visual Studio and switching from one IDE to the other is always a pain being for key bindings or just general productivity.

Keep in mind I'm not selling Visual Studio, and that I would not pretend it's the best solution for all. Simply for me it's a commodity to have yet this other possibility within VS.

For my hobby project having it written in .NET doesn't seems all that of a good choice specially for the cost of the hosting, and therefore I tried this weekend to create a new project using Node.JS, the result is actually far from being bad, and after some hard work (to understand a few things, import some definitions and so on), I have it mostly how I want it.

Basically I don't want to code directly in JavaScript and instead develop fully in Typescript which adds really the few tiny bits that makes life easier for developers. I therefore develop both the back-end and the front-end via Typescript and all that within the IDE I use every days.

One piece is missing for me and it's the deployment, too bad there is no SFTP integrated within Visual Studio and I didn't found any extension doing it. It's not a show stopper but it's again something which could improve the productivity.

Let's hope in future this support is even more developed and improved. Let's hope that we could then have native LESS compilation. Let's hope that the Typescript definition could be downloaded like NPM or NUGET packages...

We shall see how it goes. So far I'm already quite happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment